Essential Hair Loss Facts
TEN FACTS THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW.
1. Institute of Trichologists members have initially trained over a 4 year period to DIAGNOSE the reasons for hair loss.
2. Hairdressers who decide to train at Level 4 NVQ training, do one module of Trichology during that hairdressing year. This does not make them a qualified Trichologist.
3. Hairdressers do not have to study to NVQ level 4, they study to NVQ level 2 only, to be deemed qualified as a hairdresser.
4. Doctors only study hair loss if they choose to. Hair loss is not a compulsory element within their training.
5. Anyone can claim to be a Trichologist as the Institute of Trichologists is not State Registered, despite making two representations to the Government.
6. There are approximately 50 different causes for hair loss.
7. One over the counter pill cannot possibly cure all forms hair loss.
8. Correct DIAGNOSIS is the only way that hair loss can be treated.
9. It takes in-depth specialised training to learn fully, how to diagnose.
10. Without a correct DIAGNOSIS suitable advice can not be given, nor can any attempt at treatment be made.
HOW IS IT THAT MY OVER THE COUNTER PILLS OR POTIONS WORKED?
WAS I JUST LUCKY?
- There is a very common hair loss condition that is called a ‘Telogen Effluvium’, caused by many minor illnesses or other issues.
- This makes more than the normal, 80 to 100 hairs that fall each day, come to the end of their life cycle.
- It is three months before these hairs actually fall out, due to the timing of the normal hair growth cycle.
- You forgot or did not know about a Telogen Effluvium.
- Then you bought your pills! -- You were panicking!
- Three months later, the hair stops shedding, you believe the pill or potion worked. The only thing is, it would have stopped naturally.
- You are happy with the result but may be a large sum of money out of pocket!!!!
Can a pill taken for a headache cure indigestion?
Can a skin cream cure toothache?
Sounds silly doesn’t it? But that is what happens if there are some 50 different hair loss disorders and you buy something off the shelf, without qualified DIAGNOSIS.
OVER THE COUNTER PILLS AND POTIONS
These are mainly based on herbs or vitamins.
There is no clinical evidence to show that herbal pills are helpful in hair loss.
There is no point in taking vitamins, unless you are vitamin deficient. A Qualified Trichologist will be able to diagnose a deficiency. if it exists.
There are 300,000 pills and potions on sale in the northern hemisphere. Only a handful of these have been fully clinically trialled to show that they can help in hair loss.
And then, ONLY after certain hair loss conditions have been DIAGNOSED correctly, by someone who has the knowledge and has been fully trained to make a correct DIAGNOSIS.
OTHER PRODUCTS THAT CAN HELP YOU
There are shampoos and conditioners, plus volumisers that can temporarily make your hair “look” thicker.
These are very useful in hiding the condition and give you self confidence.
There are also spray-on products that temporarily give a thicker appearance to the hair.
These are very useful when trying to camouflage the hair loss, until treatment can be sought, or if there is no treatment available for the hair loss condition that you are suffering from.
3 important check points-
1. Check that you have a fully trained and qualified Trichologist treating you.
2. Check what qualifications they have.
3. Check that they have to follow a Code of Ethics that will protect you from the unscrupulous practitioner, and that they belong to a recognised professional body that will enforce that Code of Ethics.
At the Institute of Trichologists, (Founded 1902), ALL Members must adhere to the Code of Ethics. Also, you will find that our members are happy to discuss prices and treatments, if applicable, in advance.
You can examine our Code of Ethics by clicking on Institute and then Ethics. This is designed to help you and give you confidence in using the services of a qualified Institute of Trichologists member.
The Institute of Trichologists is a registered Company. Registration number 208098